In 1913, a small band of Christians gathered from time to time in the home of the late M.T. Fields, who lived inside the town limits of Estill. They were joined by a few members from Macedonia and Sweet Bethel Churches in Allendale County. Presiding Elder C.M. Blount and Rev. Johnson, who were serving the Hopewell Circuit, completed the organization. Mr. M.H. O’Neal had a house for worship service which was made into a church room by Bro. Fields and Rev. J.W. Sease. There were Sisters Lula Bess Smith, Euralee Fields Russell and Lucia Simpson Taylor.
At the close of the 1914 Annual Conference, the Rev. W. Smith was assigned as Pastor of the Hopewell Circuit of which this church was a part. Presiding Elder Blount, Bro. Fields, Sisters, Lilla Garvin, Mary Sease, Ellen Bryant, Anna Fields and Lula Smith purchased a lot in Estill facing what is now Estill Middle School. The Annual Conference lent a helping hand in providing funds to erect the first building known as the Pleasant Grove C.M.E. Church. Officers and members of Hopewell and Thompson Chapel helped to complete the building and bought the bell that hung in the tower for many years.
Another church structure was erected in 1948 under the Pastorate of Rev. A.O. Beechum. During the year 1966, the church was repaired and decorated. In 1976, the Church made a down payment on land for a new church. On Sunday, August 16, 1987, after months of dedicated work of the Pastor, Rev. A.L. Scott, officers, members and friends held the Dedicatorial Services of Martin Temple C.M.E. Church. On March 30, 2008, the Church held a mortgage burning ceremony to celebrate the retirement of the church mortgage. The ceremony was presided over by the Bishop Right Reverend Thomas L. Hoyt and Presiding Elder Rev. Dr. Jimmy Gilbert.
*Excerpts from Martin Temple C.M.E. Church History