The Lawton House was constructed in 1908 as the “in - Town” house for John Lawton, (1830 – 1908). It was one of the first houses built in the new town of Estill, incorporated in 1905. John Lawton was the owner of the Jericho Plantation in the Lawtonville Community; the predecessor of the Town of Estill. In 1913, the Lawton House became a host for the Estill Book Club, a private literary club, that has met continuously since 1913 and became the impetus for the Estill Public Library. The Classic Revival architecture structure was substantially renovated in 1947 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in July 2009. John Lawton’s great granddaughter Lawton Clarke O’Cain has lived in the house many years and operated it as a Bed & Breakfast from 1984 – 2008.