Sometime in 1898, nine members of the Estill and Lawtonville communities felt called by God to establish a Presbyterian Church in Estill, South Carolina.
Jennie Pocahontas , Laffitte Clarke, Caroline Barnes Lawton, T.A. Mullryne, Ann Helen, Clarke Lawton, Edward Holbrook Wyman, Jr., Susan Frampton Solomons, DeLacy Evelyn Wyman, John Lawton Clarke, Winborn Asa, Lawton Clarke
These nine people approached the Committee on Ministry of Charleston Presbytery with the request for the establishment of Estill Presbyterian Church. The minutes of Charleston Presbytery 1898 included the following: “The committee to organize a church in Estill, S.C. reported that it had been organized and it was directed that it be placed on the roll.”
After receiving sanction from the Charleston Presbytery, initial church services were held in a public school house which once stood at 162 Fourth Street East and on the corner lot of Lawton Avenue and Fourth Street. The first church building was constructed in 1909 at 108 Clarke Avenue North on land given by Sumpter Mills Clarke, Sr. This establishment date makes Estill Presbyterian Church the second oldest Presbyterian Church in Hampton County. The total cost of the building was $3,000 and the church was dedicated on July 25, 1909. The original church caught fire on March 18, 1934 during worship service. In 1937, the shell of the present brick building, erected on the same spot as the first church, was ready for occupancy. In 1997, the people of the church dedicated themselves to giving a ‘face-lift’ to the church building, not only in anticipation of the Centennial Celebration, but also in anticipation of another 100 years of Worship and service.
*Excerpts from “So Great a Cloud of Witnesses”, A Narrative History of Estill Presbyterian Church, 1898 – 1998, as Submitted by Lawton O’Cain, Elder